Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Takin's my Lumps


Lost Valley was this last weekend and it clued me into a couple factors that will definitely slow a person down- promoting the race and going to a show the night before.

Saturday night was Built to Spill with the Meat Puppets and I had had tickets since Christmas. When our group of NORBA race promoters were designating dates, I picked March the 16th not even thinking about the show and when I realized the conflict later, I just decided to suck it up and take it in stride. These were two bands I've been into for about 15 years and there were no other dates for the race that didn't conflict with something else, so there wasn't much for it. For it's part, the show was amazing. I walked in and the Meat Puppets launched into "Up on the Sun", a jam I used to space out to in eighth grade with my buddy Danny. The nostalgia was waist deep and the kept coming with the hits and some serious country fried picking. Curt Kirkwood could hold a clinic on that playing style and you'd be so awed by his playing that you might not notice the stained and yellowed t-shirt or the warm up pants. Built to Spill also brought their own brand of melodic and space laden indie rock. The version of "Goin' Against Your Mind" was face melting to say the least and they really brought out the big guns on "Carry the Zero". Beautiful stuff and a great show. Unfortunately, St. Louis still has smoking in public places and my lungs were provided with a tasty coating of tobacco butter. I got to bed around a quarter to two and got to wake up at five thirty to get out to Lost Valley and prepare for the race.

Race promotion is a relatively stressful endeavor, something I'd taken for granted in the years I've been going to MTB races. After weeks of paperwork wrangling, the weather started to be a major factor in the weeks preceding the race. Lots of snow and threats of days of rain had me planning on a reschedule, but somehow most of the rain passed us and the trail was absolutely perfect on race day. Given my lack of sleep, I deliriously made my way out to Weldon Spring, narrowly avoiding automotive catastrophe several times in my weakened state. I got out there around seven and started setting up the course. I had originally thought I might race SS, but there was little chance of that happening so early, so I bided my time. As I let off race after race, I was pretty sure there was no point in me lining up, given my exhaustion. However, I eventually convinced myself that it was the only race I would get to do for free and I might as well get a good hard ride in since I had my bike, clothes and the weather was perfect. So, against my better judgement, I got a number and strapped it to my bike.

There's not really much to tell about my race. I let a little gap go on the initial gravel section while two guys up front on CX bikes were drilling it. I caught a group of three on the climb and eventually dropped them on the last descent before the flats and rode alone for the rest of the lap until two of my sport teammates caught me the second time up the climb. I sat on them for a while, they were motoring and were on their way to a 1-2 in the sport. Eventually, I let them go right before the last piece of singletrack and just tried to stay steady for the last lap. I was alone and no one in front or behind to gauge my efforts on so I just kept riding and having fun. Eventually, a DRJ fellow with a flat fork caught me right before the last singletrack. I guess I was an effective carrot for him for a few miles and he steadily reeled me in. I finished 15th. It's not bad and it really isn't my kind of course and there were extenuating circumstances and I probably have some more excuses around here somewhere. Either way, it was a fun ride and I'm glad I talked myself in to doing it.

Ultimately, the race went really well and everyone had a good time. There were a ton of new faces and some old ones who haven't been around in some years. It feels like MTB racing is coming back in St. Louis and I hope this represents a positive direction for the sport around here. Now if I can just get some sleep and avoid the rock.... Ah hell, life needs balance, bring on the rock!

1 comment:

Davey B said...

It was awesome! Thanks. Promoting sounds really stressful. I think I'll stay in my bubble on that one...