Sunday, March 30, 2008

Anticipation to Anticlimax

Today is a race that I had prepared well for over the last two weeks. I rode smart and recovered well. I put in the efforts needed to get faster and looked after my nutrition and sleep. I elected not to see one of my favorite bands, Explosions in the Sky, last night in favor of rest and clean lungs. And then it stormed. Waking up to driving rain and thunder, I knew it made little sense to gamble the last of my meager cash flow to drive to Potosi for what would likely be a three hour mud bog. One bought of rain is one thing, but the preceding week featured much of it and indeed the trail was under water for a period last week. I sit here with all my anticipation deflated. Likely, all will return from the race with reports of its perfection, but I'm not in a position to chance it. Good luck to the Mesa white wave and I will turn my thoughts to next week at Tsali...

No comments: