Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Creve Couer Bubba #4


This weekend's CX race was by far the best course we have had to race on so far. It really had everything a good cross course could have from the double sandpit to the 180 barrier section to newly minted flyover to a slalom course through trees, this course lacked nothing in its perfection.

I lined up poorly toward the back of the nearly fifty strong field and stood on the line hoping to move up quickly. As the whistle went off, there was quickly pandemonium as we entered the first sweeping turns towards the barrier section. There were a few verbal barbs traded by those who felt like they were being wronged by the riders around them, a glimpse of criterium mentality. Luckily for them, the finish line was not at the barriers so they had plenty of time to work out their differences. I managed to move through quite a bit of traffic through the barriers. I tagged on the back of the lead group as we railed through the dusty trees onto the road for a screaming road descent into a climb that put us back onto the dirt. A series of long, climbing switchbacks saw a split form in our group of ten and being at the back, I was on the wrong end of the split and was having trouble moving around riders. Our little chase group shed a couple riders and it was down to four in the chase with B race dominator and teammate Matt Pence pulling about five seconds off the lead group of five. We made our way through the top section and completed the screaming fast descent into the right hander that took us to our inaugural run of the infamous flyover. No one had yet to ride it at speed and few expected to the g out at the bottom which led to the rider in front of me shattering his carbon post. Not yet clipped in and barely in control of my bike, I rear ended him and had to untangle myself before continuing. A bit of a set back, but it was still the first lap. Immediately after the flyover, there was a double sandpit section which worked out well for me, allowing the reclamation of a few positions as I rode while others ran. Coming back under the flyover and through some sweeping turns, I completed the lap sitting in around seventh or eighth.

As the laps wore on, I was never able to attack but I just tried to stay steadily on the gas in the hopes of burning people off. I tried to stay close to Pence as he has been steamrolling the B field all season and I thought he'd be able to get us back, or at least bridge himself and give me someone to block for should I not be able to follow. Unfortunately, there was a sand pit bobble and I ran into him before letting out some profanities. Sorry Matt, not directed toward you, just heat of the moment stuff! Afterward, I was leading our small group about fifteen to twenty seconds back from the Murphy/Grrman chase that was a bit behind the two leaders. I chose not to ask for help and just maintained my pace. Slowly but surely, I looked back and found myself in lone pursuit. I'm not really sure how it happened, but I think a mountain bike background was beneficial on this course and I kept pushing myself. There were a few bobbles throughout the rest of the race, but I stayed steady and got to within five seconds of Russ and Alex before Alex gapped Russ a bit. Try as I might, I could never close the remaining seconds and I'm pretty sure Russ gassed it on the last lap to make the gap stick. For myself, I was happy to be riding well again and while the legs and lungs weren't fully there, I felt close to my early season condition again. No small feat considering the amount of IPA's I filtered through myself at Lizz's Team in Training benefit the preceding evening. Next week is going to be all business and hopefully, I can continue to improve. The next two weeks have some serious training on tap which I hope will bring some rewards come state championship time. We'll find out, but it's a wonderful feeling to be back at it.

The Bubba series continues to grow and the addition of the flyover is massive for our series. There may have been a few equipment hiccups the week, but everyone will be more experienced next week. Attendance was still up even in thirty degree weather and the courses are getting better and better. It feels like the real thing and it really is shaping up to be so. Next week is Suson Park and then another night race.
I can't wait and I sincerely wish this would go on into January. Who knows, maybe with the momentum, next year will see a truly Belgian season...

No comments: