Monday, October 20, 2008

Frustration and Acceptance

As I watched my bicycle and left leg roll beneath the Honda SUV last week I felt a mix of horror and frustration I haven't experienced in a while. Attempts at positive thinking have been marginally successful; I am not broken, just slightly smashed. Hobbling on crutches is both a source of frustration and embarrassment at being turned into a spectacle for sympathy. Plans have been altered and season goals reassessed. A trip to the Northwest is now for scenery and aesthetics rather than advancement of physical conditioning. I read and hear of others doing that which I desperately desire but cannot accomplish. In time, wounds will heal and they are not of the magnitude which was certainly possible. I am lucky for the support of loved ones, both friends and family. The patience afforded my frustration is appreciated more than is possible to express. There will be other races,other bicycles and other opportunities. For now I bask in the knowledge that I have the best people imaginable in my life, even if it is difficult to show it to them at all times. I am not broken and with time, my body will mend the relatively minor injuries given the circumstances and I will cease to take for granted the gifts of good health and good people. Everything happens for a reason and I welcome the reminder of all that I have to appreciate.

1 comment:

Skeet Skeet said...

Its never good to hear these kind of reports. Sounds like your taking it fairly well. Hope you get better soon.