Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hermann Under the Lights

This was far and away the most fun I've ever had at a race. Professionally run, great course, huge turnout and good legs, all the makings of a fantastic night. We headed down to Hermann after work on Saturday, slamming RedBull and rocking to Black Sabbath. Upon arrival, a preride of the course did not disappoint and we were primed to go as the sun went down on our new black kits. After lining up in our assigned callup order, the whistle sounded and we commenced the 2008 cyclocross season. A variety of twisting turns and up hill barriers on the top of the course had me in the top ten before the screaming fast pavement downhill. More grass turns at the bottom saw a teammate slide out and had me working my way up through the corners. I was sitting fourth through the sand pit and the sewage swamp that followed before popping out onto more pavement for a touch of recovery. The stairs, which had thankfully been cut in half from last year's state course, felt less torturous this time and I felt good charging up them to complete the lap. As the race wore on, I moved into third and was closing in on second with two to go. I went down through a 180 on the pavement and the gap to second was gone. I finished third and felt pretty rockstar doing it since it was a super pro race and there were fifty people in it. Additionally, it was the best I've felt racing all year, which can only be a good sign moving into the rest of the CX season. Big thanks to my wonderful wife for bringing the most intense cheering section at any cross race and good job to all the Mesa team for excelling on a brutal course. I love cross more than any form of cycling and I am beyond excited that the season's finally here...

2 comments:

Skeet Skeet said...

Great ride Matt. See you in Carbondale.

Living a Lie said...

Yeahusss!! Nice work BRA. Keep it up, and bring the karate chop to C-dale.