Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Rhett's Run

Circumstances have finally aligned to give me my first solid MTB race of 2008. Having not raced XC since Tsali, I have spent my time doing some criteriums in the hope it would increase my speed and provide a little of the competition I've been missing off road. I've felt good in these races for the most part, but I have yet to be able to put together a decent finish. This factor, coupled with a string of mediocre to poor results off road had shaken my confidence somewhat and I went to Columbia over the weekend looking to get some of the fire back.

The race actually started well as I slotted into sixth wheel after aggressively fighting for position off the line. The first section of tight and fast singletrack had me in a group of four with two CBC riders and my teammate Corey. Dave and Mike Best had a gap that continued to grow through the race. Our paceline was working well until I slid out on a sweeping left hander and had to run for a moment. Somehow, I didn't lose momentum and didn't panic and rode back up to Corey's wheel. We crested a couple rocky climbs and entered a section of singletrack that doubles back on itself. I tried repeatedly to pass one of the CBC guys on the inside but he was having none of it. We finally dipped down into a downhill gravel road section that eventually leveled off. I was here that I realized that I lost my bottle during my tumble. This being the first race to crack the 90 degree barrier, I was a little concerned about proper hydration. Nonetheless, I attacked the CBC guy and hoped Corey would hold my wheel into the singletrack climb. Toward the top of the switchback climb, I caught the second CBC rider who was sitting in third place and managed to pass him when he dabbed on one of the slick steep climbs. I settled into third with a decent gap heading into my second lap...

When I reached the switchback climb on the second lap, I saw Jeremy Bradshaw about thirty seconds back and realized I needed to hold him off. Toward the end of the lap, he got close enough to offer some words of encouragement. I told him to slow down, but I don't think he was listening. I managed to hold him off for most of the third lap, but he passed me on a gravel section and I dangled at about ten to fifteen seconds back for the rest of the lap and most of the fourth lap. I caught up to him on the switchback climb on the final lap and as I caught him, I saw the CBC rider who had started the race in third coming up from behind. I passed Jeremy through a switchback corner and hoped it would stall the CBC rider's momentum. It didn't. He caught my wheel with five minutes remaining in the race. I gassed it and gapped him a little through the next sections of singletrack, but he was right on me on the last stretch of gravel road before the final half mile of singletrack. When he attacked, I couldn't respond quick enough and I decided to remain steady so as not to blow and get caught by Jeremy. I ended up fourth about twenty seconds down on third, but I had held about a forty second gap to Jeremy. It was a real race, which was exciting because lately, they have been a personal sufferfest. It was the first time I have felt strong and in control all year and even though I would have liked to have been another step up on the podium, I am ecstatic over the seeming turnaround in my fitness and look forward to the next XC event to hopefully keep the momentum going. Mesa and St. Louis put in a stellar performance with Dave winning the Expert race, Johnny F getting a pre-birthday podium fourth in the sport race and everyone else in the top ten. The strength of our team gives me motivation and I am now confident and filled with anticipation for the rest of the season.

2 comments:

Zach Brace said...

way to go Matt. You belong @ the front!

Living a Lie said...

Nice work Bra!! Lets continue the Mesa domination in 08